Car camping can mean a few different things depending on who you ask. For this specific post, car camping is referring to camping in the outdoors in the comfort of your car. No tent or camper needed at all! The great part about car camping is that you can have everything that you need, right there with you in your car. Once you find a place to park and set up, you’ll be ready to camp inside your car, if you choose! Car camping is super simple, inexpensive and honestly low hassle due to not having to set up a tent or any other type of structure. You’ll spend your camping adventure warm and cozy on the inside of your car.
Essential Items for Car Camping
When you are surrounded by the structure of your car, there is very little that you’ll need for your next car camping adventure. While the list may be short, here are a few essential items for car camping.
- Blankets. Even in your car, it can get a bit chilly depending on the time of year that you’re planning on camping. Pack extra blankets, you’ll be so happy that you did!
- Pillows. No one wants to lay their head on anything other than a pillow, no matter where you are sleeping.
- Window Shades. Looking for a way to get some nice and peaceful rest when car camping? These sun shades are a must to help block out some of that light. While the moon can be bright and beautiful, it isn’t something that you’ll want shining in your eyes when you’re trying to settle down for sleep.
- Easy to Eat Snacks. What happens when you get hungry in the middle of the night when you are cam camping? It’s not like you can just get up and pop something in the microwave, right? Make certain to pack a bunch of easy to grab snacks that require no heating at all. Granola bars, chips, fruit, and veggies are all perfect car camping snacks!
- Plug-in Fan. It can get a little stuff in your car if you are looking to camp and sleep inside. Search around and see if you can find a portable fan to plug into one of your outlets in your car. Just a small breeze will allow you the chance to get a nice, cool rest.
- Phone Charger. Let’s be a bit real…while the urge to camp is to get away from everything associated with life, we all still need to have access to our phones, just in case. Don’t take the chance of your phone battery draining! A car charger is a great item to have for your car camping journey!
- Books. The beauty of getting away for a camping trip? You’ll have time to enjoy the peace and quiet that surround you. Snuggling up with a good book is the perfect way to pass the time.
- Binoculars. Exploring nature is part of the fun! Keep a pair of binoculars in your car so that you can see everything in nature going on around you.
- Trash Bags. If you are camping in a confined space, you won’t want to fill up that space from trash during your camping journey. Make certain to keep trash bags in your car so you can clean up after yourself and leave nature as perfect as it was when you arrived.
- Jumper cables. And just in case…bring jumper cables. You never know when you’ll need a jump during your camping adventure. It’s always better to be safe than sorry!
Get excited about your upcoming car camping adventure! With the must-have items above, you’ll be stocked and ready to roll!
Have you ever car camped before? What items would you add to this list?This post may contain affiliate links. For more information please review our disclosure policy.