We’ve found the BEST green cleaning recipes on the web and put them together in this handy list for you. Let’s make your house sparkle! When you have kids and pets, the chemicals found in most commercial cleaners can be a real concern. But what can you do when you have tough stains on your carpet or in your clothes? You can make environmentally friendly alternatives to your current cleaners right at home, and most DIY cleaners are really cheap to make.
Easy DIY Non-Toxic Cleaners You Can Make at Home
What I love about making your own cleaning supplies at home is that you can control the ingredients (no toxicity, all-natural, gentle) and also the scents. The great thing is that these DIY cleaning recipes also work!
If we missed any of your favorite homemade cleaners, please let us know in the comments below.
1. Best Homemade Laundry Recipes that Work!
Don’t miss our post on homemade laundry recipes. You’ll find everything you need for clean, fresh-smelling clothes! From borax-free detergent to fragrance enhancers, know what you’re using on your clothes for safe laundry practices.
2. Easy Homemade Glass Cleaning Recipe To Make Your Windows Shiny.
Ditch the expensive glass cleaners and get your windows spic and span with a homemade glass cleaner made with just 3 ingredients. You won’t believe how effective, child-friendly and cheap this green cleaning recipe is. Here’s the recipe:
- 1/2 a cup rubbing alcohol
- 1/3 cup white distilled vinegar
- Distilled water
- Add the alcohol and vinegar to a spray bottle.
- Add water until the bottle is full. You may also add your favorite essential oils.
- Spray a glass surface with the cleaner and wipe the surface with a cloth.
3. Non-Toxic and Natural An All-Purpose Degreaser That Will Leave Your Kitchen Sparkling!
Commercial degreasers can be expensive and could contain chemicals that you wouldn’t want in your kitchen area. Try this all-purpose degreaser on your greasy surfaces for a clean and lemony fresh finish.
4. Make Your Own Green Disinfecting Wipes
Cleaning wipes are a lifesaver for getting spills and messes up quickly. Instead of reaching for the commercial wipes, make your own green disinfecting wipes using this simple recipe. P.S they’re reusable!
- 1 cup white distilled vinegar
- 1 cup distilled Water
- 15 drops tea tree essential oil
- 15 drops lavender essential oil
- 5 drops lemon essential oil
- Place rolled or folded washcloths in a jar.
- Combine the water, vinegar, and essential oils in a small container.
- Pour the mixture over the towels pressing them down into the liquid until they are wet enough.
- Close the lid of the jar and use wipes when needed.
- Wash dirty cloths and repeat this process.
5. Simple Natural Cleaning Recipe For Your Dirty Surfaces.
Are you tired of taking countless hours cleaning dirty surfaces in your house? Well, we’ve got you covered! Clean just about any surface in your home with this simple Vinegar Lemonade cleaner. The citrus peels make the vinegar smell much better!
6. Check Out This Natural Green Cleaning Recipe For An All-Purpose Cleaner That will Leave Your Bathrooms New As Ever!
If you’re looking for a single cleaner to tackle most of your cleaning needs, an all-purpose cleaner is what you need. Here’s a simple 4-ingredient solution.
- 1 Tablespoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons dishwashing liquid
- 3 cups hot water
- 5 drops essential oil
- Mix baking soda, dishwashing liquid, hot water and shake well to mix.
- Pour the mixture in a spray bottle once it is cool, add essential oil and shake well.
Vinegar and baking soda – while one by itself is powerful, just watch when they combine forces! Here they descale a showerhead, make your grout sparkle and help restore your shower doors to their original crystal clear state.
And here’s one you can purchase if you’re short on time and can’t make your own all-purpose cleaner.
7. Discover How To Effectively Clean Your Makeup Brushes Using This Amazing Do It Yourself Green Cleaning Recipe For Brushes.
Dirty brushes can cause skin irritation, breakouts, or Worse, acne. Regular washing of your makeup brushes reduces the chances of getting bacterial infections. Don’t forget to clean your makeup brushes once in a while with this DIY makeup brush cleaner.
Getting sick of cleaning your expensive makeup brush is a lot better than actually getting sick – Unknown.
8. A Green Cleaning Recipe For A Do It Yourself Scouring Powder Cleanser!
Sometimes when cleaning, a surface may need a little extra elbow grease. Try this all-natural scrubbing powder to tackle tough cleaning tasks. It is cheap and works better than the others. You will absolutely love it! It worked for me!
9. Use This Natural Green Cleaning Recipe For Citrus Vinegar Cleanser That Is Safe To Use Around Kids And Pets.
Most of us probably associate a citrus smell with clean, but those cleaners you buy in the store are anything but natural. This DIY citrus vinegar cleaner smells amazing and it’s completely safe to use around little ones and pets. You can never go wrong with this.
10. Easy Homemade Stove Top Cleaner Using This Non-Toxic Green Cleaning Recipe.
Cooking can be a little bit messy, leaving your stovetops to look baked, gunky, and grimy. Are you worried that the stains might stay longer or may never come out? Worry no more. Get those stovetops cleaned up fast Using this easy, fun DIY miracle stove top cleaner.
11. Looking For A More Effective Biodegradable Solution For Your Oven? Check This Out!
Cleaning ovens can be a little bit overwhelming especially doing it with harsh products. To clean your oven without harsh chemicals, try Carbona Oven Cleaner. It’s biodegradable and doesn’t cause terrible fumes like some cleaners.
12. Ever Heard Of Natural Bleach? This Is One Of The Green Cleaning Recipes You Will Want To Try
Looking for a substitute for bleach in your cleaning routine? Try this all-natural bleach alternative. Wow, does it really get things white! You can also use it for cleaning and disinfecting lots of surfaces in your home.
I know. By now you’re thinking I’m gonna tell you to get some natural compound you can’t pronounce to make your bleach. Well, I don’t like things I can’t pronounce so you’re in luck! Here is a recipe you’ll be glad you came across.
You Will Need:
- 12 cups water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup hydrogen peroxide
To Make Your Bleach:
- Just combine everything and stir. You can store in a jar or in a spray bottle to use as a household cleaner.
13. Make Your Countertop Smell Amazing With This Handy Green Cleaning Recipe
Mandarin Mint countertop spray makes a great housewarming gift, but you’ll want to keep some for yourself, too! As fancy as this countertop spray sounds, it is not only easy to make but would also give your ordinary countertop sprays a run for their money.
All you need to do is get a spray bottle, mix in 3/4 cups each of vinegar and water, 1/2 tsp liquid dish detergent (a bit on how to make that here so keep reading), 10 drops each of mandarin and peppermint Essential oils, and shake it all up! You are armed with a safe, effective, and oh-so fragrant countertop spray.
14. Homemade Green Cleaning Recipes – A Wonderful Combination Of Words!
No one has time to dust their furniture every other day and truth be told, we all rush to get that spray that can keep dust off for a while before we can get some time to clean the house. I have to admit that this dusting spray is just as effective as your favorite store-bought spray but with an edge – it is free from any and all harmful chemicals.
Keep your furniture shiny and dust-free with homemade dusting spray. Mix up 1 cup water, 1/4 cup white vinegar, 2 tbsp olive oil, and some 10-15 drops of your favorite essential oil and you’re set! The vinegar is an all-purpose cleaner, the olive oil prevents dust from settling on your furniture, the essential oil, especially lemongrass, keeps those pesky insects away from your prized furniture and makes sure your dusting spray smells amazing! What more do you need?!
15. It Doesn’t Get Greener Than Natural Dishwasher Detergent
Seeing that dishwasher detergent is probably one of the cleaning products that are most widely used, it is important to check the type of detergent you use and make sure it’s not hurting the environment. Make your own dishwasher detergent with just 4 simple ingredients and never have to go to the store for detergent again. How cool is that?
Seventh Generation Dish Pacs are unscented and will leave your dishes streak-free and clean.
16. This Homemade Wood Polish Is Versatile And Simply Magical
Whip yourself a batch of this natural homemade wood polish and you will never set foot on the wood polish aisle in the supermarket. This wonder-working dressing is actually so safe that minus the essential oils, you can use it as a salad dressing! Made with olive oil, lemon juice, and vinegar, it’s probably the safest thing you’ve got around.
This homemade wood polish also works as a substitute for goo-gone. Get rid of dust, minimize water damage rings on furniture, remove tacky residue from basically anything, and so much more! Don’t miss out on a cheap, super versatile, and 100% safe green cleaning recipe.
17. How Does Making Your Own Toilet Freshener Bombs Sound?
I know we love the sound of fizzing. Whether it’s a denture tablet or a toilet freshener bomb, it is oddly satisfying to drop a tablet in water and watch it fizz away. Good news! There’s a green cleaning solution for the dirtiest thing in your house: the toilet! Try these toilet freshener bombs to get yours clean and fresh. You’ll wonder why you’ve spent all that money on artificial, harmful, store-bought toilet bombs all this time.
Frosch Lemon Toilet Cleaner removes dirt, limescale, and urine stains without harsh chemicals.
18. Fruits Aren’t Just Good For Your Body. They’re For Your Bathroom, Too.
I know, it sounds crazy. But by now, we know what a great combination of lemons and vinegar are for cleaning, there’s another duo that’s just as bad and smells great. Grapefruit and salt! Unbelievable, right?! Just halve a grapefruit, generously sprinkle coarse salt on top and scrub away. You’ll be amazed by the results.
19. Ditch The Fabric Softener With These Amazing Natural Green Cleaning Recipes
1 cup baking soda, 1 1/2 cup of borax, one cup white vinegar, and 20 drops of your favorite essential oils is all you need to get fresh-smelling laundry every time. Just add the mixture to your bottle of laundry detergent and use it as normal. You’re never going back to fabric softener.
Remember, most homemade cleaners can be made using the same ingredients. So while you’ll spend a little upfront for things like vinegar, borax, essential oils, etc., you’ll save money because those ingredients will make lots of batches.